Want to learn about Mail Scanner

Sampson, Aaron Sampson at p2sol.com
Wed Mar 21 14:04:52 GMT 2012

The nice thing about mail scanner (which I am new too as well) has been that there are a lot of different forums, a lot of good IT people responding to them and it is very customizable to meet your needs.  My suggestion to anyone learning MS is to do what I did which was create a VM load your OS on it like it was a live system and down load the programs and start to play with the different options.  The configuration file (/etc/mailscanner/mailscanner.conf) is laid out in such a way that it provides a pretty good explanation of what each option does or will do. I set up MS with spam assassin and Clam D.  We are a small company but have found a drastic decrease of spam and viruses coming through (which you can choose to whether or not to notify the end user on) before setting these up I had not even touched a Linux box or used terminal before so don’t just read about it, be about it and take the leap.

Then if you have questions or problems post again and the community can help you work out any bugs