Question about the HOLD header check: why use "Received" ?

Tue Jan 31 19:19:32 GMT 2012

Hello everyone,

While installing and documenting my hopefully
soon-to-be-fully-operational MailScanner installation, I of course came
accross the part where you ask Postfix to put everything in the HOLD queue.

I was wondering; why exactly is this done (at least by default) using a
regex on the Received header?

Is it never so that Postfix receives mail that doesn't contain a
Received header? I could imagine this to happen for example when a
website on the same host sends e-mail instead of when e-mail from abroad
is SMTP'ed to Postfix.

Or, is this not an issue because Postfix adds a Received header before
it reaches header_check? I have found that header_checks take place in
the "cleanup" stage (
http://www.postfix.org/BUILTIN_FILTER_README.html#what ) which is before
several other stages ( http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html ) but I have
not yet found anything confirming that a Received header is added before
the cleanup stage is reached.

Just curious :-)

--
Kind regards,