my workaround for MailScanner hangs

Jeff Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Mon Jan 30 15:02:57 GMT 2012

All,

I too have been plagued by MailScanner hanging in this fashion for a
while (on Redhat 6.2).  I implemented the perl -U thing and it didn't
really help.

I finally gave up and modified logcheck (the older version from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/logcheck/, not the version from
http://logcheck.org) to look for log symptoms that MailScanner is in
trouble and automatically restart it for me.  Then I have a crontab
line that runs every 5 minutes to check the syslogs:

2,7,12,17,22,27,32,37,42,47,52,57 * * * * /usr/local/adm/logcheck-MailScanner.sh

I had attached my logcheck-MailScanner.sh script in a previous version
of this email but the MailScanner discussion server blocked it.
Contact me for info.
To make the whole thing work, you will also need to download, compile
and install the logtail program from the sourceforge version of
logcheck, and craft
a "mailscanner.problems" file of syslog messages that happen when
MailScanner hangs.

While not solving the MailScanner hangup problem, at least this method
keeps things working for me.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College