Clamd permission error

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Wed Apr 25 17:07:02 IST 2012

I'm not sure what fixed it. I have the /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming
directory owned by clamav.clamav with 755 as the mod.

One thing I had to do was turn off TNEF completely. It didn't matter
which one I used, internal or external, there were just some of those
winmail.dat files that would blow off MailScanner. It's a risk, I know,
but that seemed to help a lot.

I see a ton of files in
/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/SpamAssassin-Temp hanging around from
older dates, but those don't seem to be hurting anything and I'll just
delete them soon. These are partially old tnef* files, but some are
named tmp.XXXXXXX. They are all owned by root.root, so there's still a
little going on.

Sorry to be so flaky on the answer. Wish I could remember what really
fixed it. But I'd start with this and make sure your clamd.conf and
MailScanner.conf lines up with each other.

I seem to recall that the MailWatch instructions for recommendations on
owner and group ownership and permissions really had me spinning for a
while. so you have to read those carefully if you use MW. It's straight
forward, I think, but I had a mess on my hands for a while until I
started reading slower. Us old guys can't seem to handle as much as we
used to do.

If you need more, PM me or whatever and I'll go through all the files.

steve