OT Sendmail and Motorola smartphones

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Tue Apr 17 19:42:32 IST 2012

On 4/16/2012 4:33 PM, Alex Neuman wrote:
> What happens when you telnet into port 587 and ask for capabilities?

Not sure how I ask for capablilities. I can definitely telnet in on that
port though.

> Can you share the 'net connection on the phone and do it from a
> computer "from the phone's point of view"?
Again, I'm a little lost here on what you mean.

> What does the log say right at the time when the phone connects?
The only thing I see in the logs for these connection attempts are
something like the following:

sendmail[15298]: q3F7XEBe015298: 70-32-205-105.unass
igned.ntelos.net [70.32.205.105] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN
during connec
tion to MSA

> Can you try opening another port, such as 1587?

I can give that a try, but I'm not sure why that would matter. What's
your line of thinking here?

> Is there any sort of iptables filtering going on?
iptables and ip6tables are both turned off. I run a perimeter firewall.
The new machine replaced a machine that used to work fine. It assumed
the hostname and IP addresses, so this firewall doesn't know the
difference between the old and the new machine.

I'm really a little unsure of what is right and wrong now as far as what
I see when I google "smtp auth". In some instances I see where the
Sendmail.conf for saslauthd should have the following:

pwcheck_method:pam
mech_list: plain login

Others say just :

pwcheck_method:pam

And others say just:

pwcheck_method:saslauthd

I'm also seeing in my messages file errors like:

sendmail[20640]: unable to open Berkeley db /etc/sasldb2: No such file
or directory

These seemed to have stopped once I changed the above from saslauthd to pam.

It's hard to tell what's going on without a phone to test with. And
nTelos has provided us with a relay we can use that seems to work. I'm
not sure how far along word of that server has spread to our users.

I've not been able to spend tons of time on this due to getting called
away from my desk for problems elsewhere in the building. Sorry since
everyone seems so willing to help and I can't even provide some of the
details you all need.

Thanks

steve

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Steve Campbell<campbell at cnpapers.com>  wrote:
>>
>> On 4/16/2012 2:50 PM, Alex Neuman wrote:
>>> Or saslauthd is down. Or the AUTH methods aren't specified properly.
>>> Or port 587 is being  listened to on the wrong interface.
>>>
>>> Without some more investigation at layer 3, it's a bit hard to say.

>> ps ax shows saslauthd running using Pam.
>>
>> my sendmail.mc has the following:
>> define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl
>> TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`EXTERNAL DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
>> define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS',`EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN
>> PLAIN')
>>
>> I can't think of any other options right now
>>
>> netstat is showing:
>> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:587                 0.0.0.0:*
>> LISTEN
>>
>> For the time being, I've only got one NIC active, one real address and one
>> virtual on it.
>>
>> Thanks for the help
>> steve
>>

>> --