OT Sendmail and Motorola smartphones

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Mon Apr 16 20:21:49 IST 2012

On 4/16/2012 2:50 PM, Alex Neuman wrote:
> Or saslauthd is down. Or the AUTH methods aren't specified properly.
> Or port 587 is being  listened to on the wrong interface.
>
> Without some more investigation at layer 3, it's a bit hard to say.
>
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Ken A<ka at pacific.net>  wrote:
>>
>> On 4/16/2012 11:20 AM, Steve Campbell wrote:
>>> Completely off topic - just curious if anyone has had problems similar.
>>>
>>> I've upgraded email servers from an old Centos 3 to a new Centos 6
>>> sendmail server. Just recently our company renewed it's contract and all
>>> smartphones were upgraded to the Motorola Milestone X2. These are used
>>> by our sales staff when they're out in the field and are allowed to
>>> relay through our servers using smtp auth.
>>>
>>> I have port 587 set up with smtp auth. I'm fairly certain that this was
>>> working shortly after the upgrade, but now smtp to this port does not
>>> work. It doesn't seem to matter what settings I put in the phone, my
>>> maillog returns:
>>>
>>> sendmail[2765]: q3GG1Gng002765: 70-32-205-105.unassigned.ntelos.net
>>> [70.32.205.105] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to
>>> MSA.
>>
>> That usually means that the client isn't sending the authentication info -
>> user&  pass.
>>
>> Do you have one of these new phones to test this with?
>>
>> You could turn up logging in sendmail -
>> define(`confLOG_LEVEL', `14')dnl
>>
>> Ken
>>

>>> I don't think it's sendmail because the sendmail.mc is identical to the
>>> old server's file.
>>>
>>> I can set up an account using things like Thunderbird just fine, but
>>> then I'm using our network, but I'm still able to use port 587.
>>>
>>> Originally the problem was with one of the dnsbl I was using. (Seems
>>> that our provider had blocked their own IPs in one of the spamhaus.org
>>> RBLs to protect themselves from spam and using that blocked us from
>>> using the IPs they had assigned their smartphones). I switched from
>>> zen.spamhaus.org to sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org and that fixed it for a while.
>>>
>>> My main question is about the Motorola Milestone mail client. Anyone
>>> have an opinion on how reliable it is? Does it follow the settings I set
>>> on it and has anyone run into problems using this phone as I'm trying to
>>> use them?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any clues.
>>>
>>> steve campbell
>>>

>> --
>> Ken Anderson
>> Pacific Internet - http://www.pacific.net
>> Latest Pacific.Net Status - http://twitter.com/pacnetstatus
>>
>> --
ps ax shows saslauthd running using Pam.

my sendmail.mc has the following:
define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`EXTERNAL DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS',`EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN
PLAIN')

I can't think of any other options right now

netstat is showing:
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:587
0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN

For the time being, I've only got one NIC active, one real address and
one virtual on it.

Thanks for the help
steve

believed to be clean.