OT Sendmail and Motorola smartphones

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Mon Apr 16 17:20:46 IST 2012

Completely off topic - just curious if anyone has had problems similar.

I've upgraded email servers from an old Centos 3 to a new Centos 6
sendmail server. Just recently our company renewed it's contract and all
smartphones were upgraded to the Motorola Milestone X2. These are used
by our sales staff when they're out in the field and are allowed to
relay through our servers using smtp auth.

I have port 587 set up with smtp auth. I'm fairly certain that this was
working shortly after the upgrade, but now smtp to this port does not
work. It doesn't seem to matter what settings I put in the phone, my
maillog returns:

sendmail[2765]: q3GG1Gng002765: 70-32-205-105.unassigned.ntelos.net
[70.32.205.105] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MSA.

I don't think it's sendmail because the sendmail.mc is identical to the
old server's file.

I can set up an account using things like Thunderbird just fine, but
then I'm using our network, but I'm still able to use port 587.

Originally the problem was with one of the dnsbl I was using. (Seems
that our provider had blocked their own IPs in one of the spamhaus.org
RBLs to protect themselves from spam and using that blocked us from
using the IPs they had assigned their smartphones). I switched from
zen.spamhaus.org to sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org and that fixed it for a while.

My main question is about the Motorola Milestone mail client. Anyone
have an opinion on how reliable it is? Does it follow the settings I set
on it and has anyone run into problems using this phone as I'm trying to
use them?

Thanks for any clues.

steve campbell

believed to be clean.