Betr.: MailScanner to crash several times

Ken Brady ken_brady at byu.edu
Tue Sep 20 15:18:53 IST 2011

I had the same problem and had to disable the Sane Security Definitions in  Clamav.

Maillog:
Quarantined message p7GF1Wuu024997 as it caused MailScanner to crash several times

MailScanner --debug
In Debugging mode, not forking...
Trying to setlogsock(unix)
Building a message batch to scan...
Have a batch of 30 messages.
Can't call method "CombineReports" on unblessed reference at /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/MessageBatch.pm line 736.

Messages log:
MailScanner: waiting for children to die: Process did not exit cleanly, returned 255 with signal 0

Clamav log:
/opt/mail/incoming/9458/p7BKf75l013289.header: Sanesecurity.Jurlbl.3982.UNOFFICIAL FOUND

The above errors would repeat for every message in the queue and quarantine them until I stopped MailScanner and Clamd services and waited 5 minutes.   After that I could move all of the messages back into the queue and they would scan and process ok.      After disabling Sane Security in Clamav the problem hasn't returned.

Before disabling Sane Security I tried updating MailScanner and Clamav,  lowering child processes,  searching for spaces in virus names in clamav.