Spam Attacks

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Thu Sep 15 21:38:00 IST 2011

Greylisting works great, but it still processes the mail. And eventually, the
bot will break through the timeout. So greylisting only works so far with the
slamming kind of attack and it will bring your server to a dead stop.

I would seriously recommend great_pause for sendmail and postscreen for
postfix. I hope that their is an equivalent for qmail.... etc. Seriously does
a great job

Eli

On Thursday 15 September 2011 18:42:36 Sergio Rabellino wrote:
> [maybe OT]
> This summer i've got a better solution for sendmail greylisting :
> milter-greylist (http://hcpnet.free.fr/milter-greylist/).
> The 'too' old smf-grey do not work with ipv6 adresses !
> [end OT]
>
> Il 15/09/2011 16:45, Mogens Melander ha scritto:
> > Hi Guys
> >
> > sendmail + smfgray + mailscaner has served flawless for years.
> >
> > On Thu, September 15, 2011 07:28, Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I'm using good old fashioned sendmail as my mta.... It has a feature
> >> called "greet_pause" "Dunnno if qmail or postfix has this feature, but
> >> what this does is delay sending banners out for a specified amount of
> >> time (usually configured for between 1 -5 seconds). If a spammer /
> >> slammer starts sending before the acknowledgement from sendmail, the
> >> connection is summarily dropped.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps all who have run into the slamming phenomenon.

believed to be clean.