oddity on ms start - Found word(s) check out in the Text body

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 12:55:07 IST 2011

On 28 October 2011 13:15, Glenn Steen <glenn.steen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 October 2011 10:01, Glenn Steen <glenn.steen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have one of those in the making too (noticed the diff in initscript naming
>> ... MailScanner != mailscanner), so will check/compare with my prod systems.
>>
>> Cheers
>> --
>> -- Glenn
>>
>> Den 28 okt 2011 03:08 skrev "Jeremy McSpadden" <jeremy at fluxlabs.net>:
>>>
>>> The MS rpm was pulled down from the Baruwa repo. I will build it out a few
>>> more times to determine if it is the repo or not.
>>>

> Well well, there it is... The init script supplied by the "baruwa repo
> version" of mailscanner isn't the same as the one provided by
> mailscanner.info. Just to be sure, I've DL'd the same version from
> both, extracred (rpm2cpio mailsc*.rpm | cpio -i -d) both, and done
> some looking and some diffs.
> I'm not saying the baruwa one is bad, just that it is different and
> hence might suffer from less exposure than the MailScanner one. I'm
> sure the baruwa maintainer has a good reason for the change.
> Question becomes... what else differs between the packages? I'll do
> some further diffs and  let you know.
>
> Cheers!

Ok, here's the results (attached)... As you can see, there are some
obvious "baruwa" changes, mainly that some placements and paths have
been changed around (and hence some changes to the config files), but
the main body of work seem to have been done one
/var/sysconfig/MailScanner and the init.d script,
This is (of course!) perfectly fine, after all ... this is free and
open source. Andrew Colin kissa may do whatever he likes with it (as
indeed we all do). But using the baruwa packaging (which has some
man-pages! Wow:-)... has implications.
The main one is that we have to direct all further
questions/discussions regarding that particular install of MailScanner
to the baruwa lists, pretty much as it's been with other
"distributions of mailscanner" (openprotect, configserver,
whatever...:). This list is about MS as provided from Jules packaging,
no more - no less.

I'm not sure which way I'll go, it all depends a bit:-). Some of the
changes ACK has done seems less general and thought-through than Jules
versions, but they may very well be "fine enough".

Cheers!
--
-- Glenn