Anyone used Baruwa?

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Wed Oct 26 19:38:44 IST 2011

Stephen Cox wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Joolee <mailscanner at joolee.nl>
> wrote:
>> Last time I tried, Baruwa missed a lot of options Mailwatch has.
>> Mailwatch is a classic example of a good product that has a lousy
>> codebase. That's probably also the reason nobody is maintaining it.
>>
>> 2011/10/24 Bjørn T Johansen <btj at havleik.no>
>>>
>>> Is it as good as it looks? MailWatch is kind of obsolete now... :)
>>>

> Using Baruwa on production server for a few years now. It's by far
> better than MailWatch.
> http://www.baruwa.org/blog/2011/10/24/baruwa-vs-mailwatch---a-feature-comparison/

Well, a few additional features but nothing strikes me as earth shaking.  I thought maybe I'd give it a try, but I'm running SLES 10 which didn't seem to have many of the dependencies Baruwa wants.  Anyone out there installed it on a SLES server?  I could probably go find each component but the additional features weren't compelling enough to me to go to the trouble.  They may be to others, of course.

Anyone out there installed it on a SLES 10 server?  I also have a SLES 11 box, but prefer to do my science tests on the least critical box which is version 10.

Although MailWatch is a bit long in the tooth, it is stable, fairly easy to install, and fairly robust even after all these years.  I guess I don't equate obsolete with "not actively developed".  If it still does the job, it's not obsolete.  For many of us it does the job quite well still.  Just my $.02 worth...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500