MailScanner Flow

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Oct 2 05:19:33 IST 2011

On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 21:16 -0500, Mike's List wrote:
> Hello Group,
>
> I'm currently reading "mailscanner-manual-version-1.0.1.pdf" and I think
> from what I understand the way MailScanner/MS works in that MS took over
> the MTA/SpamAssassin/AV flow and perform the combine procedures?
> Therefore, the server should not need to have sendmail, spamassassin,
> and AV running but allow MS to do its job and spawn its child process
> to handle all mail procedures?
----
yes, turn them off and MS will start sendmail for you, call the
spamassassin and clamd processes at the appropriate time.
----
> If this is the case, when I turned sendmail, spamassassin and AV off, my
> server will not accept mail, spamassassin is run scanning, etc.  So my
> MS is broken?  If my understanding is not correct, then I need to turn
> on all the other services?
>
> (My --lint output below, a couple of errors but should function fine?)
>
> All inputs are welcome.
>
> Thank you.
>

> Mike (//mailscanner newbie)
>

> // start
>
> # MailScanner --lint
> Trying to setlogsock(unix)
>
> Reading configuration file /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf
> Reading configuration file /etc/MailScanner/conf.d/README
> Read 868 hostnames from the phishing whitelist
> Read 4063 hostnames from the phishing blacklists
>
> Checking version numbers...
> Version number in MailScanner.conf (4.84.3) is correct.
>
> Unrar is not installed, it should be in /usr/bin/unrar.
> This is required for RAR archives to be read to check
> filenames and filetypes. Virus scanning is not affected.
----
if possible, you should install the unrar package for your OS
----

> ERROR: The "envelope_sender_header" in your spam.assassin.prefs.conf
> ERROR: is not correct, it should match X-yoursite-MailScanner-From
----
simple fix... described appropriately
----

> Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
> Using SpamAssassin results cache
> Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
> config: failed to parse line, skipping, in
> "/etc/mail/spamassassin/mailscanner.cf": use_auto_whitelist 0
> SpamAssassin reported an error.
----
you can disable this to prevent the error but it's not a biggie
----
> Connected to Processing Attempts Database
> Created Processing Attempts Database successfully
> There are 0 messages in the Processing Attempts Database
> Using locktype = posix
> MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = clamav"
> Found these virus scanners installed: clamd
> Filename Checks: Windows/DOS Executable (1 eicar.com)
> Other Checks: Found 1 problems
> Virus and Content Scanning: Starting
> 1.message: Eicar-Test-Signature-1 FOUND
>
> ./1/eicar.com: Eicar-Test-Signature FOUND
>
> Virus Scanning: ClamAV found 2 infections
> Infected message 1 came from 10.1.1.1
> Virus Scanning: Found 2 viruses
> Virus Scanner test reports:
> ClamAV said "eicar.com contains Eicar-Test-Signature"
>
> If any of your virus scanners (clamd)
> are not listed there, you should check that they are installed correctly
> and that MailScanner is finding them correctly via its
> virus.scanners.conf.
----
obviously clamav/clamd are working as intended

Craig

believed to be clean.