MailScanner Flow

Mike's List mikelist at leawood.com
Sun Oct 2 03:16:05 IST 2011

Hello Group,

I'm currently reading "mailscanner-manual-version-1.0.1.pdf" and I think
from what I understand the way MailScanner/MS works in that MS took over
the MTA/SpamAssassin/AV flow and perform the combine procedures?
Therefore, the server should not need to have sendmail, spamassassin,
and AV running but allow MS to do its job and spawn its child process
to handle all mail procedures?

If this is the case, when I turned sendmail, spamassassin and AV off, my
server will not accept mail, spamassassin is run scanning, etc.  So my
MS is broken?  If my understanding is not correct, then I need to turn
on all the other services?

(My --lint output below, a couple of errors but should function fine?)

All inputs are welcome.

Thank you.

Mike (//mailscanner newbie)

// start

# MailScanner --lint
Trying to setlogsock(unix)

Reading configuration file /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf
Reading configuration file /etc/MailScanner/conf.d/README
Read 868 hostnames from the phishing whitelist
Read 4063 hostnames from the phishing blacklists

Checking version numbers...
Version number in MailScanner.conf (4.84.3) is correct.

Unrar is not installed, it should be in /usr/bin/unrar.
This is required for RAR archives to be read to check
filenames and filetypes. Virus scanning is not affected.

ERROR: The "envelope_sender_header" in your spam.assassin.prefs.conf
ERROR: is not correct, it should match X-yoursite-MailScanner-From

Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
Using SpamAssassin results cache
Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
config: failed to parse line, skipping, in
"/etc/mail/spamassassin/mailscanner.cf": use_auto_whitelist 0
SpamAssassin reported an error.
Connected to Processing Attempts Database
Created Processing Attempts Database successfully
There are 0 messages in the Processing Attempts Database
Using locktype = posix
MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = clamav"
Found these virus scanners installed: clamd
Filename Checks: Windows/DOS Executable (1 eicar.com)
Other Checks: Found 1 problems
Virus and Content Scanning: Starting
1.message: Eicar-Test-Signature-1 FOUND

./1/eicar.com: Eicar-Test-Signature FOUND

Virus Scanning: ClamAV found 2 infections
Infected message 1 came from 10.1.1.1
Virus Scanning: Found 2 viruses
Virus Scanner test reports:
ClamAV said "eicar.com contains Eicar-Test-Signature"

If any of your virus scanners (clamd)
are not listed there, you should check that they are installed correctly
and that MailScanner is finding them correctly via its
virus.scanners.conf.

// end