Monitoring ClamAV and MailScanner

Dave Helton dave at KD0YU.COM
Sun Oct 2 01:39:50 IST 2011

HI Mike, everyone..

  Yes, you should disable spamassassin in your init.d startup, unless you're using for something else.
MS calls the SA routines directly and does not need the SA daemon.

  To verify your clamav is working and logging properly... send yourself one of the Eicar sigs until
you get the desired effect.

--Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info [mailto:mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info] On Behalf Of Mike
Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2011 5:42 PM
To: MailScanner discussion
Subject: Re: Monitoring ClamAV and MailScanner

On Sun, 2 Oct 2011, Peter Bonivart wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 11:16 PM, Mike <mike at leawood.com> wrote:
>> Yes, similar to that of SpamAssassin.  I can see the "spamd"
>> processing each e-mail in /var/log/maillog but I'm not seeing in for clamd/clamav.
>
> First of all, you shouldn't use spamd with MailScanner. Logging is set
> in the configuration of MailScanner and ClamAV respectively, also
> check syslog.conf.

I should turn SpamAssassin off then?  MailScanner automatically uses SpamAssassin even when it's not running? (i.e. similar to that of sendmail?).

// from /etc/clamd.conf

LogFile /var/log/clamav/clamd.log
#LogVerbose yes

I'm not seeing any scan results in clamd.log, should I turn on LogVerbose for more information to be updated in clamd.log?

# Execute a command when virus is found. In the command string %v will # be replaced with the virus name.
# Default: no
#VirusEvent /usr/local/bin/send_sms 123456789 "VIRUS ALERT: %v"

Should this option also be on?

Thank you.

Mike

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner at KD0YU.COM, and is believed to be clean.