Emails lost !

Alex Broens ms-list at alexb.ch
Thu Nov 17 10:15:06 GMT 2011

On 2011-11-17 10:53, eric le corre wrote:
> hello and sorry for my enlish  I Have some trouble. I Have
> SpamAssassin version 3.3.1, 4.83.5 mailscanner, postfix 2.8.2 on
> Ubuntu and MailWatch. This Server is configured as gateway for my
> Exchange 2010.
>
> users complain of not receiving emails. Apparently it's quite often.
> Users give me the address of the sender which certifies sending an
> email. On my exchange, I have no trace of the mail in question. On
> Mailscanner either, MailWatch in the mail does not appear either. In
> short, nothing a all. What is even more annoying is that the sender
> does not receive an e-mail non-delivery. So emails that are lost.
>
> Mailscanner in the logs I find nothing wrong.
>
> If someone could help me find an explanation .....
>
> I was wondering, but can be nothing to see there are a mailscanner
> script that restarts the service regularly. Are the mails could not
> be lost just when mailscanner restarts? possible? thanks

If the msg doesn't show up in your MTA's log, then MAilScanner can't
"loose" it.

The obvious is to ask the sender to provide an smtp log snippet which
shows that they did indeed send a msg and you accepted or rejected.
Although the sender never likes that approach "Show me what you sent,
before I loose sleep over it" will save you a lot of time and headaches.