Disabling antivirus

Sandro Dentella sandro.dentella at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 19:49:23 IST 2011

2011/6/8 Ryan Ivey <iveymr at gmail.com>

> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 6:44 AM, Sandro Dentella <sandro.dentella at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm currently having problems with my postfix+mailscanner installation
>> that has worked fine up to yesterday. As I think probelms are in the
>> antivirus I wanted to get rid of it momentarily so I set
>>
>>   Virus Scanning = no
>>

>> and restarted Mailserver. I still fine in the log:
>>
>> Jun  8 12:40:22 mail MailScanner[4343]: Virus and Content Scanning:
>> Starting
>> Jun  8 12:40:24 mail MailScanner[4343]: Requeue: 188BE246072.ABE45 to
>> B81D22460E7
>> Jun  8 12:40:24 mail postfix/qmgr[27742]: B81D22460E7: from=<
>> sandro at e-den.it>, size=618, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
>> Jun  8 12:40:24 mail MailScanner[4343]: Uninfected: Delivered 1 messages
>>
>> So, how should I do to really disable virus scanning (even thought now it
>> seems it's working correctly...)
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> sandro
>> *:-)
>>
>> --

> What's the output of MailScanner --lint?   You should be able to set it
> 'no' and check w/out restarting MailScanner.  With it set to 'no'  --lint
> will produce output without the 'infected' message on the test file (eicar)
> because it won't call your virus scanner.  Get in the habit of lint'ing
> after every change to your config before restarting, it'll save you some
> headaches.
>
> Thanks for the hint Ryan! I wasn't aware of --lint option. I could fix a
couplpe of errors. In fact I see that setting to 'no' turns out the EICAR
infected message but does not stop the message:

MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = clamav"
Found these virus scanners installed: clamd
Virus and Content Scanning: Starting

If any of your virus scanners (clamd)
are not listed there, you should check that they are installed correctly
and that MailScanner is finding them correctly via its virus.scanners.conf.

that I find misleading if  the meaning is that virus scanning is disabled!

A last question: I had problems setting the permission. Using Virus Scanenr
= clamd raise an error:

Virus and Content Scanning: Starting
Clamd::ERROR:: UNKNOWN CLAMD RETURN ./MSlintPTFbzv/lstat() failed:
Permission denied. ERROR :: /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/22945
Clamd::INFECTED:: Eicar-Test-Signature :: ./1/eicar.com
Virus Scanning: Clamd found 2 infections
Infected message 1 came from 10.1.1.1
Virus Scanning: Found 2 viruses

that I don't have if I set Virus Scanners = clamav

user and Group definition in MailScanner.conf are:

  Run As User = postfix
  Incoming Work User =
  Quarantine User =
  Incoming Work Group = clamav
  Quarantine Group =
  Run As Group = www-data
  Incoming Work Group = clamav

and postfix also belongs to clamav group.

I don't really know ho to interpret the error. Since the virus scanner is
clamd, it means that clamd user should be able to create
/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/22945, correct? clamd *is* able to do
that...

Any help is appreciated

sandro
*:-)