SpamScore/Procmail vs. MailScanner

Martin Hepworth maxsec at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 06:30:10 IST 2011

On Friday, 15 July 2011, Patrick Healy <pjhealy at healyville.com> wrote:
>     Hi,
>
>     I just upgraded my e-mail configuration to use MailScanner.  Prior
>     to that I was using a hand-installed version of Spamassassin.  So
>     far so good, but I have a couple of questions:
>

>       Under my old configuration I used procmail to handle the
>         movement of spam.  Now I'm using it in conjunction with
>         MailScanner's SpamScore.  Should I be using procmail, or should
>         I let MailScanner move the spam to the spam folders?

Mailscanner Won't do anything with users folders this is still up to the mda

>       SpamScore doesn't seem to give me enough granularity.  If I
>         base the spam decision on 'sss' rather than 'ss' then some false
>         positives get sent to the Spam folder.  It seems like I 2.5 's'
>         would do the trick.  Should I be using something else?

You can get ms to put full info to the headers such as full mimetic
score and tag if it's above a certain score (spam score and high spam
score settings) have a look at those and wiki on header additions

>       Do I still need to run spamd (Spamassassin Daemon)?

No ms calls SA directly via api calls

>     Thanks!
>
>     Pat

Martin Hepworth