multi-volume RAR archive problem

Rick Cooper rcooper at dwford.com
Tue Jan 25 16:55:23 GMT 2011

If this is causing an issue the fix would be in the unpackrar function to
test if the file is part of a multi-volume archive and not try and extract
the file. But this is the same as allowing multipart emails, I wouldn't do
it because there is no way to virus test a multipart attachment. Of course
there could be a new config option to allow multi-volume rar (or maybe
archives in general?) files that was rule based so you could allow a file
name pattern from your own users and disallow from all else.

Testing for the multi-volume is fast and pretty easy. Command line would be
:
    /path/unrar lv FileName
Output would be either
---
    1        185500442 52428702  28%       volume 1
                     ^            ^                           ^        +--
Volume Number
                     |            |                           + -----------
The Word Volume
                     |            +----------------------------------------
The size of this file
                     +-----------------------------------------------------
Total size of combined volume
or

---
    0                0 52428702   0%       volume 2

The first number is 1 for the first part and zero for the others so if the
file size is known a regex (with all white space truncated to one char, no
leading or trailing)
    /^\d+\s\d+\s$FileSize\s\d+\%\svolume\s+$/, the file size part is just
insurance we don't hit the string somewhere in the listing but really I
think just adding
another \d+ would suffice
If this regex hit (and could probably just change the $FileSize to another
\d+) you would know it was part of a multi-volume set.
To me this is an overly complicated change to accommodate a one off
situation. Can you not just enter pass in one of the file rules sets?

I am looking at the unrar code and as I thought the lv is already used to
check for password protection so changing the relevant part to:

  foreach $what (@test) {
    #print STDERR "Processing \"$what\"\n";
    # If we haven't hit any ------- lines at all, and we are prompted for
    # a password, then the whole archive is password-protected.
    unless ($BeginInfo || $EndInfo) {
      if ($what =~ /^Encrypted file:/i && !$allowpasswords) {
        MailScanner::Log::WarnLog("Password Protected RAR Found");
        return "password";
      }
      if ($what =~ /^\s+\d+\s+\d+\s+\d+\s+\d+%\s+volume\s{0,}$/i) {
        MailScanner::Log::WarnLog("Multi-Volume RAR Found");
        return "multivolume";
      }

    }

This would prevent MailScanner from attempting to unpack the file and if the
return is multivolume MS could handle it according to a configured setting,
or default to rejecting outright instead of trying until it hits maxfail and
rejects it.

Back to Julian

Rick

  _____