weird mailscanner clamd error

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 10:40:03 GMT 2011

On 3 January 2011 21:34, Naz Snidanko <nsnidanko at harperpowerproducts.com> wrote:
> I have weird stuff happening. When we put any file into ZIP archive created
> from Winzip or Winrar I get the following log in mail.log:
>

> Jan  3 15:14:43 ares MailScanner[5103]: Virus and Content Scanning: Starting
>
> Jan  3 15:14:43 ares MailScanner[5103]: Clamd::ERROR:: Access denied. ERROR
> :: ./66522203B7.AD6EB/zRicohdeviceUsersetup.doc
>
> Jan  3 15:14:43 ares MailScanner[5103]: Virus Scanning: Clamd found 1
> infections
>
> Jan  3 15:14:43 ares MailScanner[5103]: Virus Scanning: Found 1 viruses
>
> Jan  3 15:14:43 ares MailScanner[5103]: Spam Checks: Starting
>

> File delivered after passing mailscanner to final destination.
>

> When I put the same file into ZIP archive using built-in Windows XP engine
> it works flawlessly and no error log is generated. No error is generated
> when same file is put within .rar archive either.
>

> I’ve tried different files anything from jpeg to pdf and end up with error
> described above.
>

> Can someone point me in the right direct how to troubleshoot this within
> mailscanner.
>

> System:
>

> Clamd 0.96.5
>
> Ubuntu Server 10.04
>
> MailScanner 4.82.3
>
> Perl 5.10.1

Check that both postfix and clamav (or whatever the users/groups are
called) have relevant perms... Run As User/Group and 0660 perms in
MailScanner.conf, correct perms on your incoming directory (perhaps
/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming), Also check your clamd settings, of
course.
Perhaps the most crucial bit though... is to make sure that you have
sane permissions on /tmp, and that they can create files/directories
there as needed.

Cheers
--
-- Glenn