Process did not exit cleanly.

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 08:32:06 GMT 2011

On 2 February 2011 04:28, Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:
> This is a just a caution to anyone updating their OS's or more precisely,
> versions of perl.
>
> This is a bug as best I can tell to do with mailscanners handling of
> spamassassin, if SA is disabled, MS appears to work fine, else it constantly
> bails as below, leaving copies of mail and all in work dirs, mail is however
> still delivered, so appears nothing is lost.

Must have missed this/been busy elsewhere.

I suppose doing a debug run (debug-sa, as well) would give some better
pinpoint than just "SA as called from MS is broken on 5.10.1"...?:-)
Pinpointing this type of thing can be a real PITA:-).

> It's down to modern versions of perl, perl modules, but it seems not enough
> of us use  5.10.1 or greater (no issue with 5.10.0), so no other people see
> it for it to be given any real urgency at present. (we stopped using
> mailscanner, will use it again once this bug is fixed) Julian was made aware
> of two months or more ago, but is unable to reproduce it.

Modern versions of perl or modern versions of supporting modules?

> Since most of you use antiquated CentOS and Debian versions, you likely wont
> be stung for some years yet :)
> But anyone using current Gentoo, Slackware and report of Archlinux as well,
> be forewarned.

If this is all true, then at least Ubuntu 10.10 and Mandriva 2010.2
would be affected as well... I'll know more shortly. You mentioned
having a testcase of a few hundred byte that was sure to trigger it...
Could you share it with me?

Cheers
--
-- Glenn