Emails not getting scanned

Tony Arcus tony at ai.net.nz
Mon Dec 19 22:05:17 GMT 2011

Thanks for the obvious heads up.

MTA

This is my first centos 6 server, been doing centos 5 for years.

Sendmail is:
service sendmail stop
chkconfig sendmail off

Mailscanner is on

When I do a
/etc/init.d/MailScanner status
Checking MailScanner daemons:
          MailScanner:                                      [  OK  ]
          incoming sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
          outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]

All looks good and as I would expect,
but when I do a
/etc/init.d/sendmail status
sendmail is stopped
sm-client (pid  19322) is running...

Generally on Centos 5 I would get
/etc/init.d/sendmail status
sendmail (pid 4662 4656 4650) is running...

Still nothing here that causes me to think things are wrong.
What I can confirm is that emails are entering the queue
/var/spool/mqueue.in/, but immediately get processed (by something)
directly to the user. MailScanner never gets to process them.

If I stop mailscanner the server no longer receives emails, I can not
telnet in.
Start mailscanner and I can.
So I guess the sendmail subsystem, though only being called by the
starting of Mailscanner is processing the emails and not handing them
on to mailscanner.

Therefore question:
What do I need to check/change so sendmail does not sent the queued
messages in mqueue.in directly to the users.

--
Tony Arcus
Systems and Network Engineer

Phone : 06-379-6668
Phone : 04-831-1401
Email : tony at ai.net.nz
Cell  : 021-827-660

This email and any accompanying documentation may contain privileged and
confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, your use
of the information is strictly prohibited.

believed to be clean.