Tell MailScanner to stop incoming mail

Martin Hepworth maxsec at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 07:49:53 IST 2011

Mailscanner sits between two instances of and mta and suffles emails between
the queues for delivery. If u look at the mailscanner init script you may
find the option to stop the "incoming" mta depending On how u installed
mailscanner in the first place.

But I'd look in the logs and also the performance section of the wiki for
some ideas to speed up ms as well

Martin

DA838176-A795-4431-BD4B-E265949B8E8D at fluxlabs.net>, Jeremy McSpadden <
jeremy at fluxlabs.net> wrote:
> Stop your mta
>
> --
> Jeremy McSpadden
> Flux Labs, Inc
> http://www.fluxlabs.net <http://www.fluxlabs.net/>
> Endless Solutions
> Office : 850-588-4626 <tel:850-588-4626>
> Cell : 850-890-2543 <tel:850-890-2543>
> Fax : 850-254-2955 <tel:850-254-2955>
>

> Ok but how does previously accepted and queued up mail continue to process
and get distributed to appropriate servers if I do that so that
overflowing queues can get caught up?   If I simply stop the MTA (sendmail)
then how does mail flow to appropriate servers?

> Like I said previously:  Mailscanner appears to me like it starts a
separate MTA process for incoming email versus a different MTA process for
sending email that has been processed.   Does MailScanner give the option of
not starting up the incoming MTA and only running the processing/sending
MTA?  Using iptables to block port 25 does block incoming emails, but seems
to cause other problems so that processing/sending already queued up mail
doesn't work either.    If I could simply get MailScanner to temporarily not
start up the incoming MTA (Sendmail) that would seemingly solve my problem.
If MailScanner doesn't give the option per se, can I somehow force
MailScanner to not start up the incoming MTA process?   Maybe I'm looking at
this all wrong, but essentially here is what I want to do:  I have other
servers that can respond to the same mx record lookup and when this server
is having problems with it's incoming queue getting overloaded I want to
manually tell it to stop accepting new mail so that it can process what it
already has accepted.    Other servers that respond to the same MX scope
should take up the slack for new email, while hopefully I can get this one
to process an overflowing queue and reduce it to a manageable size.
Regarding WHY this is happening in the first place is a separate issue that
I'm trying to figure out.    In the mean time I need a workaround to keep
email from queuing up on this server and taking forever to process.

> -Mike

DA838176-A795-4431-BD4B-E265949B8E8D at fluxlabs.net>, Jeremy McSpadden <
jeremy at fluxlabs.net> wrote:
> Stop your mta
>
> --
> Jeremy McSpadden
> Flux Labs, Inc
> http://www.fluxlabs.net
> Endless Solutions
> Office : 850-588-4626
> Cell : 850-890-2543
> Fax : 850-254-2955
>

> On Aug 26, 2011, at 4:26 PM, Michael Masse <mrm at medicine.wisc.edu> wrote:
>
>> I'm having performance issues on one of my incoming email servers, and
while I'm trying to figure out the root of that problem I need to be able to
tell MailScanner to stop accepting incoming mail so that it can get caught
up on the email it has already accepted and queued up.   I have multiple
servers running w/ this mx record, so senders should just find a different
server to send to automatically if this one stops accepting.    It appears
to me that MailScanner starts a secondary sendmail process specifically just
for receiving email vs sending, so hopefully there's some sort of startup
command that would allow me to not accept new email.    I've tried just
blocking port 25 from the outside on this server specifically via iptables,
and it does prevent outside systems from sending mail, it also keeps
MailScanner from properly processing queued up mail for some reason.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>> -Mike
>>
>> --
>>
>> Before posting, read <http://wiki.mailscanner.info/posting>