Taint problems

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Wed Apr 27 01:58:19 IST 2011

On 04/20/2011 06:48 AM, Alessandro Bianchi wrote:

> Till now, after several hours, the only way I found to run MS , is
> adding the -U switch in the showbang line in /usr/sbin/MailScanner.
>
> This switch, to my understanding, turns fatal taint errors in warning,
> but I'm still looking for a definitive fix.
>
> Hope to save some night work hours to someone else with this info.

You sure did, thanks, Alessandro!

These are the ones I'm seeing:

Insecure dependency in open while running with -T switch at
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Lock.pm line 358.
Insecure dependency in open while running with -T switch at
/usr/lib/perl5/IO/File.pm line 185, <$fh> line 44.
Insecure dependency in chdir while running with -T switch at
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm line 2415.
Insecure dependency in open while running with -T switch at
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Lock.pm line 358.

perl -v says:
   This is perl, v5.10.1 (*) built for i386-linux-thread-multi

It came in:
   Apr 24 03:23:18 Updated: 4:perl-5.10.1-123.fc13.i686

This is on a Fedora 13 box.  Others mentioned about what a disaster
Fedora is for MailScanner, but from experience I can say this is the
first system-related problem I've seen on a MailScanner box since Redhat
9 (having upgraded through ~12 Fedora releases since).  Besides, this
box is slated to migrate to the stable CentOS 6, which also carries
perl-5.10.

It looks like taint errors in some of the same places were fixed in
4.79.11-1.  I haven't yet diffed the two source trees to see what was done.

-Bill

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Social networks: bill_mcgonigle/bill.mcgonigle