MailScanner does rbl checks

George Elgin gelgin at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 20 15:49:03 IST 2011

>> Does this mean I'm not doing any RBL checking at all now? Or will SA

so with

Spam List = SPAMEATINGMONKEY,CBL,MANITU,spamhaus-ZEN
and obviously set up rules here

spam.lists.conf:SPAMEATINGMONKEY                bl.spameatingmonkey.net

my objective is i don't want mails scanned that are clearly spam say FAIL more than one GOOD rbl ie.

Spam Lists To Reach High Score = 2,, in other words i thought the defaults are way too conservative//

my question though is "does this in fact cause MailScanner to NOT let SA spend time analysing these Mails ?".

OR

"would it be preferable to let postfix itself reject RBL'ed mails ?"

also for
[gelgin at gfee MailScanner]$ grep skip_rbl_checks *
spam.assassin.prefs.conf:# skip_rbl_checks      1

is 1 the default or do i uncomment if i don't want checks ? unlike amavis i am not getting a good feel that RBL checks are really happening...

>> still do that?
>
> Yes, SA will still do those checks.
>
> That's the current recommended practice - using MailScanner to check
> RBLs is only advised in cases where you don't wish to use
> SpamAssassin but do wish to check multiple RBLs.

I've always done it the other way (MailScanner does the checks) but times change.  To reverse it, is it as simple as changing these from MailScanner.conf
    Spam Lists To Be Spam = 1
    Spam List = spamhaus-ZEN (or whatever one has in there)
and in the spam.assassin.prefs.conf setting skip_rbl_checks to 0 (zero)?

Will the "Spam Lists To Be Spam" setting matter if spamassassin is doing the checks instead of MailScanner?  If so, should that become zero as well?