Performance issues with MS and SA

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 16:38:02 IST 2011

Apart from these excellent suggestions, you should look long and har d
on _why_ the load is high.
Are you experiencing a lot of processes in the D state, which will add
1/process-in-state-D, then you shouould investigate is you can
mitigate that (problem areas might be piece-of-crap NIC drivers or
somesuch)... Or perhaps you employ an inefficient virus scanner (if
using clamscan -> use clamd instead ... if using the old bitdefender
-> stop doing that ...), or spend a lot of power on plain ol'
spamassassin (make sure you use sa-compile!) ...
Lots of things to look at:-).

Load is very problematic as a sole source of performance information,
as you minght already be aware of:)

Cheers
--
-- Glenn

On 1 April 2011 13:24, Martin Hepworth <maxsec at gmail.com> wrote:
> Couple of things that can ridically reduce the load is have the inbound MTA
> reject on invalid recipients.
>
> http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=documentation:configuration:mta:sendmail:how_to:reject_non_existent_users
>

> Other is greylisting which Stevef did a recent study on and still found it
> to be very effective.
>

> You don't mention if you're doing either of these
>
> also
>
> http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=maq:index#optimization_tips
>
> http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=maq:index#getting_the_best_out_of_spamassassin
>
> must update that last one as the rulesemporium stuff can be ignored now.
>
> --
> Martin Hepworth
> Oxford, UK
>

> On 31 March 2011 23:49, Jonas <jonas at vrt.dk> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Donald
>>
>> Maybe I'm a big thick headed but I don't see you mention what your
>> performance issue is?
>>
>> You say you process 150k mails with 4 servers each with 4 cores (that's
>> how I read it anyway)
>>
>> But what is the problem, are you incoming mail queues too big, or do you
>> expect a quick increase in mail volume in the near future?
>>
>> Or do you simply want to optimize your setup, and don't have a problem per
>> say?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Med venlig hilsen / Best regards
>>
>> Jonas Akrouh Larsen