clamd and tnef error?
glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 11:26:47 IST 2010
On 14 September 2010 15:45, Steve Freegard <steve.freegard at fsl.com> wrote:
> On 14/09/10 14:13, Paul wrote:
>> I've switched to the internal tnef expander and there are no errors.
> Small word of warning on the internal expander; Convert-TNEF hasn't been
> updated in a very long time and I recently had a number of issues on
> multiple sites where it was causing MailScanner to segfault on messages
> generated by recent versions of Exchange. This was causing MailScanner to
> quarantine loads of messages as 'attempted to kill MailScanner' and required
> a bit of cleanup to correct.
> That said - I also had issues with the external expander a long time ago
> which is why I switched to the internal as the preferred method. But the
> external expander is much more up-to-date and I doubt if these problems are
> still present.
> These days 'Expand TNEF = no' is my preferred method and get the Exchange
> server to send messages in MIME format instead of working around bad
> defaults on the Exchange side.
In a world where all winmail.dat files were generated internally, I
would agree with you.... But since that is not the case, I would have
to beg to differ...
I've been happy with the internal TNEF expander for years, but ...
some (business-critical, of course) emails couldn't be expanded ->
couldn't be scanned -> ended up in the quarantine. Sigh. So I went for
the external one, with good success.
AFAICT the problem is that the clamav group permission is 4, not 6. I
fail to see the risk of allowing the group to be able to write as well
I have my Incoming settings like:
Incoming Work User = postfix
Incoming Work Group = clamav
Incoming Work Permissions = 0660
,,, which work perfectly.
email: glenn < dot > steen < at > gmail < dot > com
work: glenn < dot > steen < at > ap1 < dot > se
More information about the MailScanner