clamd and tnef error?

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 11:26:47 IST 2010

On 14 September 2010 15:45, Steve Freegard <steve.freegard at fsl.com> wrote:
> On 14/09/10 14:13, Paul wrote:
>
>> I've switched to the internal tnef expander and there are no errors.
>
> Small word of warning on the internal expander; Convert-TNEF hasn't been
> updated in a very long time and I recently had a number of issues on
> multiple sites where it was causing MailScanner to segfault on messages
> generated by recent versions of Exchange.  This was causing MailScanner to
> quarantine loads of messages as 'attempted to kill MailScanner' and required
> a bit of cleanup to correct.
>
> That said - I also had issues with the external expander a long time ago
> which is why I switched to the internal as the preferred method.  But the
> external expander is much more up-to-date and I doubt if these problems are
> still present.
>
> These days 'Expand TNEF = no' is my preferred method and get the Exchange
> server to send messages in MIME format instead of working around bad
> defaults on the Exchange side.

In a world where all winmail.dat files were generated internally, I
would agree with you.... But since that is not the case, I would have
to beg to differ...

I've been happy with the internal TNEF expander for years, but ...
some (business-critical, of course) emails couldn't be expanded ->
couldn't be scanned -> ended up in the quarantine. Sigh. So I went for
the external one, with good success.
AFAICT the problem is that the clamav group permission is 4, not 6. I
fail to see the risk of allowing the group to be able to write as well
as read.
I have my Incoming settings like:
Incoming Work User = postfix
Incoming Work Group = clamav