(OT) Re: The Exchange takeover, stealth Mailscanner, SPF, and other thoughts. Subj was: Re: help me

Alex Crow alex at nanogherkin.com
Tue Oct 19 17:56:09 IST 2010

On 19/10/10 13:43, Nigel Kendrick wrote:

> Reply below

Wow - sounds like times I've been temping in the public sector. When you
have in-house expertise and a cheaper system, don't use the former and
ignore the latter as /obviously/ the more expensive it is, the better it
must be.

>   1)  They are currently ripping out our ADSL lines/VPNs to replace
> them with a BT managed 'cloud' system.  Not only are the links more
> expensive and in some cases slower (we have some sites running
> 20Mbit/2.5Mbit LLU that are going back to 8Mbit/883K), but they have
> to pay an annual support charge and submit a request for any router
> config changes.

Again, very similar to the public sector. I wasn't in IT at the time
(wanted to be though) and was at the DfEE. I said how BT were
deliberately holding back evolution of broadband to their own benefit
(this was 1997/8) and the dept. boss at the time nearly sacked me then
and there. Despite privatisation they still seemed to be in love with them.

It was only about a day later when one person on the team asked me to
print and fax said boss all of his emails to his home number - I
explained it would tie up his phone line all day (about 350 mails) - but
I was told not to be "insubordinate". The boss guy then complained about
his phone line being engaged all day and accused me of stupidity, both
staffers complained to the agency and that was the end of that job.
Really stung at the time as I needed the money despite the hellish
environment.

> 2) They need to 'move' a central server to from my offices to their HQ
> -- so they buy a second, identical server (Dell 6850 rackmount with 4
> Quad core Pentiums, 16GB RAM and 300GB RAID 5 SAS (3 disks)) and
> someone is going to do a data dump this weekend and drive it up. There
> would be no problems with the downtime, but for some reason I have no
> inclination of questioning, they aren't just going to backup this
> server, shut it down and take it with them.

Ah, well. Maybe they want to keep the old one for DR purposes - although
thinking about that they probably have no clue what DR stands for...

I imagine they will attempt to "save" by replacing you with a nice fresh
paper-MCSE on about a quarter of your salary. They will find the true
cost of that the next time excrement meets ventilator.

I am glad my small but thriving financial sees things a little more
pragmatically - hire good people and give them some freedom and
opportunity to learn and things can be a lot happier.

Good luck!

Alex