The Exchange takeover, stealth Mailscanner, SPF, and other thoughts. Subj was: Re: help me

Alex Crow alex at nanogherkin.com
Fri Oct 15 17:24:42 IST 2010

Martin,

However that might not play out quite as well as just letting them shoot
themselves in the foot - if you put a "stealth" MS box in front of
Exchange, then management would just think that the Microsoft stuff did
just as well as the old Linux software. It might be better to explain it
should be tested with and without the Mailscanner solution as a
comparison. However if Nigel is leaving, why not just let them fight
their own war!

Nigel, I presumed you pointed out that in addition to the £16k for
exchange they would need something to stem the spam-flow, and given
their need for "a throat to squeeze" (the usual reason) it would
probably be commercial?

Using SPF, Greylisting and MS I think I'd guess we're blocking 99.5-ish%
of all spam and the of the remaining .5%, a good three-quarters is
getting 6 SA points or more. I'm almost getting confident enough to drop
the "high-scoring SPAM" level down and also the marking threshold. Does
anyone have any figures (rough or otherwise) or experiences about such
adjustments (I was thinking to take high-score to 8 and marking as
possible spam down to 5 or even 4).

BTW, after deploying SPF checks I was shocked to find at least one major
UK and international finance house has a badly configured SPF record (ie
not all outbound sources in the record, and a "-all" rule ending.) As a
hint their "old" (sensible) name suggests they hail from somewhere east
of Peterborough.

Cheers

Alex