Bitdefender AntiSpam: worth a try?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Nov 23 14:07:43 GMT 2010

Can you get me a downloaded copy and a demo licence so I can write the
code please?
You can send me big downloads and files via dropoff.ecs.soton.ac.uk with
email address mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk. Send me any licence keys
off-list.

Then I'll see what I can do for you.

Cheers,
Jules.

On 23/11/2010 13:18, Dave Jones wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Dave Jones <davejones70 at gmail.com
> <mailto:davejones70 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     >Hi,
>     >
>     >It looks like Bitdefender just released a free AntiSpam engine
>     for mail
>     >servers (Linux-based):
>     >http://www.bitdefender.com/business/antispam-for-mail-servers.html
>     >
>     >Anyone tried it yet? If so, could it complement MailScanner?
>     >
>     >Thanks!
>     >
>     >Denis
>
>     I downloaded and installed it but MailScanner doesn't seem to support
>     this version yet in the virus.scanners.conf and the wrapper script.
>
>     It seems to have some potential goodness since it runs as a daemon.
>     I am using an old version of McAffee that is End-Of-Life on Dec 31
>     2010.
>     It's terrible taking 3-6 seconds to start and load defs for each
>     batch.
>
>     Dave
>
> Has anyone been able to integrate this into MailScanner yet?  Anyone
> looked at it?
>
> I just received a quote from CDW and the price is very good.  They
> license by server
> and not by mailbox/email address so 5 servers was under $150.00 US for
> a year of
> Security for Mail Servers (the middle one in the link below):
>
> http://kb.bitdefender.com/site/business/antispam-for-mail-servers.html
>
> The software does way more than needed when you already have
> MailScanner but
> I would like to use the AV engine if it's worth anything.  Anyone have
> an experience
> with bitdefender AV in the past?
>
> I'm running McAffee that is end-of-life soon so I'm willing to spend
> some "free" time
> this holiday season to learn how to integrate this into MS and
> contribute it back as
> long as I'm not waisting my time.
>
> P.S.  Jules, if you want to give me a quote to do this, contact me
> offline.  I bet you
> could whip this out in no time and I would know that it's done right.
>
> Dave

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng