Ruleset result when multiple matches?

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Tue Nov 2 14:17:50 GMT 2010

I have a ruleset to determine which "Filename Rules" I will use. For
mail coming from our external gateways (123.456.123.456 in the example
below) I use a stricter set called filename.ext.rules.conf. I need
some exceptions (foo at bar.com in the example below) and added them to
the ruleset prior to the external gateway lines.

When I test this I get multiple matches (which is logical) but I
expected MailScanner to use only the first match as the result..?

# MailScanner --value="Filename Rules" --from="foo at bar.com" --ip=123.456.123.456
Looked up internal option name "filenamerules"
With sender = foo at bar.com
Client IP = 123.456.123.456
Virus =
Result is "/etc/MailScanner/filename.rules.conf
/etc/MailScanner/filename.ext.rules.conf"

Can I expect this to work, i.e. will MS use filename.rules.conf?

/peter