[OT] - Configure sendmail to drop incoming unknown user emails

Landon Stewart lstewart at superb.net
Fri May 21 10:09:12 IST 2010

I would google for creating a catch-all address and set the
destination of the catch-all to an alias defined in /etc/aliases
pointing to /dev/null.

You'll probably need to use virtuser table to do this.

On Thursday, May 20, 2010, Miguel Koren O'Brien de Lacy
<miguelk at konsultex.com.br> wrote:
> Ken;
>
> Thanks for the idea. I'm not trying to do anything spam or virus
> related. This is an internal smtp server just for internal email alerts
> to internal users. I need to avoid the error message when it gets email
> for an unknown user. I suppose I have to do some testing.
>
> Ken A wrote:
>> In /etc/mail/access
>>
>> To:validuser at somedomain.com             RELAY
>> To:validuser2 at somedomain.com            RELAY
>> To:somedomain.com                       DISCARD
>>
>> System users may not need to be listed, but if you are pulling them
>> from ldap.. then maybe. I've used this on relays, not mail hub.
>>
>> Why would you want to create such a spam magnet anyway?
>>
>> Ken
>>

>> On 5/20/2010 2:28 PM, Miguel Koren O'Brien de Lacy wrote:
>>> Hi Eduardo,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the answer. For now I would be happy just to silently
>>> discard mails
>>> to users that are not linux users on the same server. But my real
>>> problem
>>> further down the road is in ldap (active directory). So users not in
>>> AD are
>>> considered invalid emails. I decided to approach this in steps ;-)
>>>
>>> Miguel

>>> --
>>> Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo sistema de antiv�rus e

Landon Stewart <LStewart at SUPERB.NET>
SuperbHosting.Net by Superb Internet Corp.
Toll Free (US/Canada): 888-354-6128 x 4199
Direct: 206-438-5879
Web hosting and more "Ahead of the Rest": http://www.superbhosting.net