[OT] - Configure sendmail to drop incoming unknown user emails

Miguel Koren O'Brien de Lacy miguelk at konsultex.com.br
Fri May 21 03:45:07 IST 2010

Ken;=0A=
=0A=
Thanks for the idea. I'm not trying to do anything spam or virus=0A=
related. This is an internal smtp server just for internal email alerts=0A=
to internal users. I need to avoid the error message when it gets email=0A=
for an unknown user. I suppose I have to do some testing.=0A=
=0A=
Ken A wrote:=0A=
> [...]
>>=0A=
>> Miguel=0A=
>>=0A=
>> Eduardo Casarero wrote:=0A=
>>>=0A=
>>>=0A=
>>>  2010/5/20 Scott Silva<ssilva at sgvwater.com<mailto:ssilva at sgvwater.com>>=
=0A=
>>>=0A=
>>>      on 5-19-2010 5:57 PM Miguel Koren O'Brien de Lacy spake the=0A=
>>> following:=0A=
>>>      >  Ladies and Gentlemen;=0A=
>>>      >=0A=
>>>      >  I need to configure sendmail to silently drop emails=0A=
>>> received for=0A=
>>>      >  unknown users on the server. In other words I don't want the=0A=
>>> sender to=0A=
>>>      >  thinks that the email was received and then I want to put it in=
=0A=
>>>      >  /dev/null. This is not for special needs for an internal=0A=
>>> application and=0A=
>>>      >  not for any real interset email server. I searched around=0A=
>>> about how to=0A=
>>>      >  do this and found some links that seem to imply that it's=0A=
>>> possible but=0A=
>>>      >  no real solution. Can anyone point me to the right place for=0A=
>>> this?=0A=
>>>      >=0A=
>>>      >  Thanks.=0A=
>>>      >=0A=
>>>      >  Miguel=0A=
>>>      >=0A=
>>>      Sendmail should be doing this already... You have changed=0A=
>>> something to make it=0A=
>>>      NOT reject unknown users.=0A=
>>>=0A=
>>>=0A=
>>>  Sendmail can "discard" the email, in fact in access.db you can=0A=
>>> setup for=0A=
>>>  example "From: 1.2.3.4 DISCARD" so every email from that ip is=0A=
>>> silently=0A=
>>>  discarded. How do you now if an user is either valid or not? Ldap?=0A=
>>>=0A=
>>>      --=0A=
>>>      MailScanner mailing list=0A=
>>>=20=20=20=20=20=0A=
>>> mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info<mailto:mailscanner at lists.mailscanner=
.info>=0A=
>>>=0A=
>>>      http://lists.mailscanner.info/mailman/listinfo/mailscanner=0A=
>>>=0A=
>>>      Before posting, read http://wiki.mailscanner.info/posting=0A=
>>>=0A=
>>>      Support MailScanner development - buy the book off the website!=0A=
>>>=0A=
>>>=0A=
>>>=0A=
>>>  --=0A=
>>>  Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo sistema de antiv=C3=ADrus e=0A=
>>>  acredita-se estar livre de perigo.=0A=
>>=0A=
>> --=20=0A=
>> Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo sistema de antiv=EF=BF=BDrus e=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
--=20=0A=
Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo sistema de antiv=EDrus e=0A=