SpamAssassin Rule Actions ignores Whitelist entries - BUG?

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Thu Mar 25 11:31:48 GMT 2010

Michael Mansour wrote on Wed, 24 Mar 2010 17:26:14 -0700 (PDT):

> However, even if the email is whitelisted (From or To addresses),
> if the whitelisted email has a score above 18, it _still_ goes through
> the rule above and gets emailed to highspam at domain.com

you are talking of MS whitelisting, right? It works that way that
whitelisted mail still gets spamchecked, it's just not used as a spam
qualifier. This must have some historic reason, e.g. it was the easiest
way to implement it and leave other stuff untouched. If you do not want to
have the message "scored" you have to put it on the no scan list. However,
this also excludes it from virus scanning. Maybe that's a temp solution
for you?
It makes sense to not use existing scores for whitelisted mail in the rule
actions I suppose. But it's also possible that someone else then comes
along and says he needs it ;-)
I think the most convincing way would still be to stop spam-checking for
whitelisted mail. It's just extra unnecessary cycles. Now, with virus and
spam-checking order reversed that might be easier? Just speculating.

Kai