Betr.: Office Documents - No Programs allowed

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 09:03:05 GMT 2010

On 18 March 2010 08:43, Arjan Melein <Amelein at dantumadiel.eu> wrote:
> I had the same, comented out the ELF line in the filetypes and the number of false matches has gone down, but now it picks em up as AVI files every now and then.
>
> -
> Arjan

The "problem" is more with your version of file than with MS ... it
simply returns a bit too much information, specifically information
that varies wildly (Title:, Author: etc). You could either look at
changing over entirely to file -i (sorry don't remember how to do
that, you'll have to look it up yourselves;-), or you could wrap your
file command in a small wrapper that ... sanitizes the file output...
A small perl, awk or sed script should do:-).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn

> geschreven:
>> I know this has been discussed, but I can't find a definitive answer in
>> the archives.
>>
>> I have an issue with word documents being picked up as programs by
>> mailscanner.
>>
>> MailMaster: No programs allowed (ELF) (MullumbimbyISBOSInstall.doc)
>>

>> # file MullumbimbyISBOSInstall.doc
>> MullumbimbyISBOSInstall.doc: CDF V2 Document, Little Endian, Os:
>> Windows, Version 5.1, Code page: 1252, Title: Self Service, Author:
>> User, Template: Normal.dot, Last Saved By: f309604, Revision Number: 7,
>> Name of Creating Application: Microsoft Office Word, Total Editing Time:
>> 33:00, Last Printed: Sun Dec 20 06:52:00 2009, Create Time/Date: Wed Mar
>> 10 04:15:00 2010, Last Saved Time/Date: Thu Mar 11 01:28:00 2010, Number
>> of Pages: 1, Number of Words: 449, Number of Characters: 2561, Security:
>> 0
>>
>> # file -i MullumbimbyISBOSInstall.doc
>> MullumbimbyISBOSInstall.doc: application/msword; charset=binary
>>

>> Is it the charset=binary that is causing this issue?
>> If so, what, if anything, can be done to sort it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jeff
>>
>> --

-- Glenn