Office Documents - No Programs allowed

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 08:58:10 GMT 2010

On 17 March 2010 23:14, Jeff Mills <jeff.mills at sydneytech.com.au> wrote:
> I know this has been discussed, but I can't find a definitive answer in
> the archives.
>
> I have an issue with word documents being picked up as programs by
> mailscanner.
>
> MailMaster: No programs allowed (ELF) (MullumbimbyISBOSInstall.doc)
>

> # file MullumbimbyISBOSInstall.doc
> MullumbimbyISBOSInstall.doc: CDF V2 Document, Little Endian, Os:
> Windows, Version 5.1, Code page: 1252, Title: Self Service, Author:
> User, Template: Normal.dot, Last Saved By: f309604, Revision Number: 7,
> Name of Creating Application: Microsoft Office Word, Total Editing Time:
> 33:00, Last Printed: Sun Dec 20 06:52:00 2009, Create Time/Date: Wed Mar
> 10 04:15:00 2010, Last Saved Time/Date: Thu Mar 11 01:28:00 2010, Number
> of Pages: 1, Number of Words: 449, Number of Characters: 2561, Security:
> 0
>
> # file -i MullumbimbyISBOSInstall.doc
> MullumbimbyISBOSInstall.doc: application/msword; charset=binary
>

> Is it the charset=binary that is causing this issue?
> If so, what, if anything, can be done to sort it?

It is the "Title: Self Service" part that spooks MS... Perhaps the RE
is a tad ... trusting...Haven't looked at the particular code ...
recently... so I would't know for sure:-). Jules probably does
though:)

Look at changing over to file -i ... seems to be the reasonable way to
go, if the odd FP irks you. I'm not sure that file -i doesn't come
with a higher FN rate though.

Cheers
--
-- Glenn