How to detect forged From and Reply-to addresses from your own domain

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Mar 7 18:03:08 GMT 2010

On 11:59 AM, Mogens Melander wrote:

[...]

And Alex Neuman wrote:

> That would be why I always enable 587 (MSA) with auth, or 465 (SMTPS)
> on my MTA's.

I understand all those things, but that is not my point. I am not a
typical user. Typical users in most environments don't understand those
things.

What do you say when the PHB is on the phone and wants to know why *his*
boss is saying he didn't receive the monthly status report that the PHB
knows he emailed from home the evening before it was due.

And yes, even this can possibly be avoided with sufficient
documentation, training and support, but this is a cost that should be
factored in.