Problems with office files being wrongfully blocked

Arjan Melein Amelein at dantumadiel.eu
Mon Mar 1 14:25:28 GMT 2010

I have a problem where every now and then word files are being tagged as being an executable or even as AVI file.
When manually checking the file with 'file -i' it tells me 'application/msword; charset=binary' which leaves me in the dark as to why it blocked it to begin with.

I'm not sure how to go about debugging this, it does not do it with every file but it is consistent with blocking whatever file got initially blocked, so it's not just a glitch.
The files in question are office 2002 (XP) and 2003, 2007 does not seem to be affected, MS is at version 4.78.17 on Fedora 11.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to look ?

-
Arjan