spamassassin with mailscanner

Martin Hepworth maxsec at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 17:03:21 IST 2010

On 15 June 2010 16:38, Dragon Slayr <dragonslayr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 3:10 AM, Martin Hepworth <maxsec at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 15 June 2010 06:19, Dragon Slayr <dragonslayr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've just built a box with Ubuntu Lucid. Everything now now going great
>>> in testing.
>>> However, I attempted to import my old spamassassin database as root with
>>> this command.
>>> sa-learn -p /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf --restore
>>> sa_bayes_backup.txt
>>>
>>> That gave me a nice database in the /root directory. :(
>>>
>>> So, I thought I'd better ask. Should I run this as the postfix user like
>>> this?
>>> sa-learn -u postfix -p /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
>>> --restore sa_bayes_backup.txt
>>>
>>> Also, now when I do sudo -u postfix spamassassin --lint -D, I get
>>> permission errors attempting to read root..   <Sigh...>
>>>
>>> As you can see, I'm a bit confused. For a last question, can change
>>> things so spamassassin just keeps a global database and forget all this user
>>> stuff?  It's a incoming mail server only. There are no local users.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Before posting, read http://wiki.mailscanner.info/posting

>>> Hi
>>
>> you need to make sure that the bayes files are pointing at the correct
>> place in the mailscanner.conf for the user you are running mailscanner as,
>> and also of course make sure the permissions on the bayes dir/files are good
>> for the 'run as' user.
>>
>> Thank You! For googling sake, I'll post what I did.
>
> Run this line, with every spamassissin command
>
> -p /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
>
> Then, after learning, the permissions were messed up on the bayes files in
> /var/lib/MailScanner. "As shown my MailScanner --lint
> I changed them by doing "chown postfix:www-data bayes*"
>
> Note, since I had deleted the /root/.spamassassin directory, to keep
> spamassassin from barfing, I relearned one spam message as root.

you shouldn't need the -p anymore. Mailscanner now inserts a
mailscanner.cfwith a correct sym link back to
/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
.....unless of course you're running a really really old MS.

make sure you do the sa-learns as the postfix account and you'll won't get
SA messing with the perms of the bayes.

--
Martin Hepworth
Oxford, UK