spamassassin with mailscanner

Dragon Slayr dragonslayr at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 16:38:43 IST 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 3:10 AM, Martin Hepworth <maxsec at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15 June 2010 06:19, Dragon Slayr <dragonslayr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've just built a box with Ubuntu Lucid. Everything now now going great in
>> testing.
>> However, I attempted to import my old spamassassin database as root with
>> this command.
>> sa-learn -p /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf --restore
>> sa_bayes_backup.txt
>>
>> That gave me a nice database in the /root directory. :(
>>
>> So, I thought I'd better ask. Should I run this as the postfix user like
>> this?
>> sa-learn -u postfix -p /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf --restore
>> sa_bayes_backup.txt
>>
>> Also, now when I do sudo -u postfix spamassassin --lint -D, I get
>> permission errors attempting to read root..   <Sigh...>
>>
>> As you can see, I'm a bit confused. For a last question, can change things
>> so spamassassin just keeps a global database and forget all this user
>> stuff?  It's a incoming mail server only. There are no local users.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>

>> --

>> Hi
>
> you need to make sure that the bayes files are pointing at the correct
> place in the mailscanner.conf for the user you are running mailscanner as,
> and also of course make sure the permissions on the bayes dir/files are good
> for the 'run as' user.
>
> Thank You! For googling sake, I'll post what I did.

Run this line, with every spamassissin command
-p /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf

Then, after learning, the permissions were messed up on the bayes files in
/var/lib/MailScanner. "As shown my MailScanner --lint
I changed them by doing "chown postfix:www-data bayes*"

Note, since I had deleted the /root/.spamassassin directory, to keep
spamassassin from barfing, I relearned one spam message as root.