Problem with 4.80.7 rpm install.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jun 4 15:05:18 IST 2010

On 11:59 AM, Julian Field wrote:

> On 04/06/2010 08:30, Glenn Steen wrote:
>> On 3 June 2010 22:17, Mark Sapiro<mark at msapiro.net>  wrote:
>>
>>> My system is CentOS 5. I was running MailScanner 4.80.4. In my
>>> configuration I have
>>>
>>> Run As User = postfix
>>> Run As Group = postfix
>>>
>>> I downloaded
>>> <http://www.mailscanner.info/files/4/rpm/MailScanner-4.80.7-1.rpm.tar.gz>,
>>>
>>> unpacked it and ran the install.sh script as usual.
>>>
>>> MailScanner --lint
>>>
>>> ran normally, but when I ran
>>>
>>> service MailScanner restartms
>>>
>>> children died during initialization with
>>>
>>> Jun  3 12:35:56 sbh16 MailScanner[22147]: Cannot create temporary Work
>>> Dir /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/22147. Are the permissions and
>>> ownership of /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming correct?
>>>
>>> This would then spawn another child which would die the same way.
>>>
>>> It seems the install process (run as root) changed the owner of
>>> /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming from postfix to root.
>>>
>>> chown postfix /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/
>>>
>>> fixed the problem, but the owner shouldn't have been changed in the
>>> first place.
>>>

>> Thanks for the headup Mark!
>>
> That's odd, this one shouldn't happen. In the installation process (when
> it installs the mailscanner*rpm), it does this:
>
> # Create the incoming and quarantine dirs if needed
> for F in incoming quarantine incoming/Locks
> do
>   if [ \! -d /var/spool/MailScanner/$F ]; then
>     mkdir -p /var/spool/MailScanner/$F
>     chown root.root /var/spool/MailScanner/$F
>     chmod 0755 /var/spool/MailScanner/$F
>   fi
> done
>
> which should leave any pre-existing directories alone. Can you see any
> reason why this wouldn't work on your system?

No. I don't see why that wouldn't work. Also, that is apparently not
what did it as the group of all 3 was still postfix; the owner of
quarantine and incoming/Locks was still postfix, and the mode of
incoming/Locks which was 0750 before was unchanged.

Perhaps it was just some glitch or something I did without realizing.
We'll see if it happens to others.