Problem with 4.80.7 rpm install.

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jun 4 09:14:03 IST 2010

On 04/06/2010 08:30, Glenn Steen wrote:
> On 3 June 2010 22:17, Mark Sapiro<mark at msapiro.net>  wrote:
>
>> My system is CentOS 5. I was running MailScanner 4.80.4. In my
>> configuration I have
>>
>> Run As User = postfix
>> Run As Group = postfix
>>
>> I downloaded
>> <http://www.mailscanner.info/files/4/rpm/MailScanner-4.80.7-1.rpm.tar.gz>,
>> unpacked it and ran the install.sh script as usual.
>>
>> MailScanner --lint
>>
>> ran normally, but when I ran
>>
>> service MailScanner restartms
>>
>> children died during initialization with
>>
>> Jun  3 12:35:56 sbh16 MailScanner[22147]: Cannot create temporary Work
>> Dir /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/22147. Are the permissions and
>> ownership of /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming correct?
>>
>> This would then spawn another child which would die the same way.
>>
>> It seems the install process (run as root) changed the owner of
>> /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming from postfix to root.
>>
>> chown postfix /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/
>>
>> fixed the problem, but the owner shouldn't have been changed in the
>> first place.
>>

> Thanks for the headup Mark!

That's odd, this one shouldn't happen. In the installation process (when
it installs the mailscanner*rpm), it does this:

# Create the incoming and quarantine dirs if needed
for F in incoming quarantine incoming/Locks
do
   if [ \! -d /var/spool/MailScanner/$F ]; then
     mkdir -p /var/spool/MailScanner/$F
     chown root.root /var/spool/MailScanner/$F
     chmod 0755 /var/spool/MailScanner/$F
   fi
done

which should leave any pre-existing directories alone. Can you see any
reason why this wouldn't work on your system?

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Need help customising MailScanner?