MailScanner 4.78.17 doesn't detect viruses, have checked tmp permissions and no symlink, reinstalled clamav (worked in 4.77.10)

Richard Lynch rich at
Tue Jan 12 16:34:50 GMT 2010

Sunny Forro wrote:
> -----Original Message-----
> From: mailscanner-bounces at
> [mailto:mailscanner-bounces at] On Behalf Of Julian
> Field
> Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 11:02 AM
> To: MailScanner discussion
> Subject: Re: MailScanner 4.78.17 doesn't detect viruses, have checked
> tmp permissions and no symlink, reinstalled clamav (worked in 4.77.10)
> Check your virus.scanners.conf file to ensure it is pointing at the 
> correct place for clamav.
> If "which clamscan" reports /usr/local/bin/clamscan then the clamav line
> in virus.scanners.conf should end in "/usr/local" and if it reports 
> /usr/bin/clamscan then the line should end in "/usr".
> That would be the first place to look. Then "MailScanner --lint" should 
> detect the EICAR test pattern successfully. Once "MailScanner --lint" 
> works, you're there.
> Jules.
> ------ Outlook sucks -----------
> Jules, thanks for the reply!
> I checked "which clamscan" and yes it does point to
> /usr/local/bin/clamscan. The clamav line in virus.scanners.conf does end
> in /usr/local. Still no lint under 4.78.17, but works fine under
> pervious versions on the same box. Using clamav-wrapper to do a scan of
> /tmp gives me sensible output however.
> Sunny
> On 12/01/2010 15:45, Sunny Forro wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I've just upgraded to 4.78.17 and now mailscanner doesn't report 
>> viruses detected by clamav in production or lint. I've scanned the 
>> /tmp directory with clamav-wrapper and get sensible clam output. /tmp 
>> is not symlinked. I've reinstalled clamav, and manually reinstalled 
>> all the per-tars from the install directory. I've even tried 
>> downgrading MIME-tools to 5.420 (as found on another post), but to no 
>> effect (and since reinstalled from perl-tar to 5.427). I've removed 
>> and reinstalled Perl5.8.9, also to no effect. I'm running MS4.78.17, 
>> SA3.2.5, Clam0.95.3, sendmail 8.14.3 on FreeBSD7.0p9, w/ mailwatch 
>> 1.0.4, apache13, mysql5077, php5, virtualized through VMWare VSphere 
>> 4.0. I've switched back to 4.77.10 as this properly identifies virii. 
>> I'm out of ideas - Any suggestions? Is there something else I need to 
>> check, or something else I missed?
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> Sunny Forro
>> P.S. Thanks a million to Julian Field for a fantastic solution to the 
>> deluge of spam we had grown accustomed to.
> Jules
This may be totally unrelated but I had a similar problem like this at 
one point.  It turned out that the perl I was running had version 0.16 
of perl-File-Temp builtin and the version that came packaged with 
MailScanner was 0.19.  When perl was updated v0.19 was removed.  I ended 
up having to do a rpm --force on the version that came packaged with 

This is all from vague memories and I may not have the scenario exactly 
right.  It took me a while to find it though.  Check the version of 
File::Temp that you are using.  I know that once I got the correct 
version installed MailScanner --lint started producing expected results 
with my virus scanners.



"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may
be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons
than omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may
sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those
who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do
so with the approval of their own conscience."

  -- C.S. Lewis

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

More information about the MailScanner mailing list