More taint mode problems (please help)
lists at elasticmind.net
Thu Jan 7 13:57:30 GMT 2010
On 06/01/2010 16:56, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> On Tue, January 5, 2010 8:54 am, mog wrote:
>> Ya, you need to use MailScanner-4.79.4 which was available a couple
>> weeks ago from ports. It will work then.
> It wont work correctly, I'm the person thats been maintaining FreeBSD
> mailscanner port for the last few versions, please stop spreading false
> information. This also isn't specific to perl on FreeBSD, Linux users have
> reported this issue as well.
> While MS will start and will appear to work, certain attachments (appears
> to be zip files) will trigger a taint mode error. See my original post.
> Since the MS community isn't addressing this, i have made a work around
> which runs the master script as he run as user, this disabled taint mode.
> The new port should be available shortly.
Oh right, so unfortunately the problem still hasn't been fully overcome.
Sorry, I was not aware of this until now and thought everything was
working fine when using the lastest MailScanner version and perl 5.10.1
- based on the following extract from one of your previous messages and
upgrades I'd done myself:
"FreeBSD admins rejoice, you can finally update perl without breaking
MailScanner. I have tested the latest version and it works great. I've
also submited a pr to update the port so it will be available soon."
I hope that wasn't your intention, but I find myself being slightly
offended by being accused of spreading false information. I also
maintain FreeBSD ports so can appreciate the difficulties in porting
software and would *never* knowingly distribute incorrect information;
all it would have taken was for someone to point out the
misunderstanding (which in an unpleasant way you did, so thanks for that
I guess). I'd like to express my apologies to anyone who may have been
caught up in the confusion, I think I may have been thrown by the
previous post at the time as it mentions using an old version of Perl.
As it happens, we are also today beginning to notice the problems you
describe whereby some messages containing attachments are not
successfully scanned and delivered. I'm not sure if Julian is aware of
the problems yet but hopefully he might be able to shed some light on it
when he's back. *fingers crossed*
Obviously this problem will be affecting a lot of people but
unfortunately I don't know much about Perl at all. If there's anything
else I can do to help (like testing port patches etc), please let me know.
More information about the MailScanner