Filename/-type Checking

Rick Cooper rcooper at dwford.com
Tue Jan 5 22:18:13 GMT 2010

----Original Message----
From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info
[mailto:mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info] On Behalf Of Denis
Beauchemin Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 4:16 PM To: MailScanner
discussion Subject: Re: Filename/-type Checking

> Le 2010-01-05 08:53, Marco Rebsamen a écrit :
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I got troubles with this filename/-type checking.
>>
>> What I want is, that simple .exe or .dll files are not delivered. But
>> If I put them into a ZIP or RAR file they should pass.
>>
>> I tried setting the path to the rar and gzip commands to “empty”, I
>> tried setting the filetype “executable” in the rules file to allowed
.
>> Useless, I can’t send my mail.
>>
>> Can somebody tell me how to configure MailScanner like that ?
>>
>> Thank you
>>
> Marco,
>
> Look at:
> # The maximum depth to which zip archives, rar archives and Microsoft
> Office # documents will be unpacked, to allow for checking filenames and
> filetypes # within zip and rar archives and embedded within Office
> documents. #
> # Note: This setting does *not* affect virus scanning in archives at all.
> #
> # To disable this feature set this to 0.
> # A common useful setting is this option = 0, and Allow Password-Protected
> # Archives = no. That block password-protected archives but does not do
> # any filename/filetype checks on the files within the archive.
> # This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
> Maximum Archive Depth = 0

Should be able to use the archive.filename.rules/types to handle this. In
the archive related just put an allow line at the top. If using a later
version then look for "Archives: Allow Filenames =" in the config file and
use the rule file or just make it

Archives: Allow Filenames = \.exe$ \.dll$

believed to be clean.