Incorectly blocking files.

Erik Bloodaxe E.Bloodaxe at gold.ac.uk
Wed Feb 24 12:56:15 GMT 2010

Julian Field wrote:

> On 23/02/2010 09:49, Erik Bloodaxe wrote:
>> Lyndon Labuschagne wrote:

>>> Hi Erik, What you need to do is check out the filename.rules file
>>> the line you are looking for is this one,
>>> deny    \.ma[dfgmqrstvw]$       Possible Microsoft Access Shortcut
>>> attack                               Microsoft Access Shortcuts are
>>> dangerous in email
>>>
>>> you can change that deny to allow or take the "t" out of the
>>> \.ma[dfgmaqrstvw] string,
>>>

>> Thanks for this.  I have edited the above line to say:
>>
>> deny    \.ma[dfgmqrsvw]$        Possible Microsoft Access Shortcut
>> attack            Microsoft Access Shortcuts are dangerous in email
>> #deny   \.ma[dfgmqrstvw]$       Possible Microsoft Access Shortcut
>> attack            Microsoft Access Shortcuts are dangerous in email
>>
>> but the .mat attachemnts are still being blocked.
> You did tell MailScanner to re-read its configuration, didn't you?
> "service MailScanner reload" will do the job on a RedHat or Centos box.
>>
>> How can I put mail scanner in a debug mode so that I can see it
>> consider each rule in turn?
>>
>> best
>>
>> Rob
>>

> Jules

It appears that this file is being stopped for other reasons I do not
understand.  The system now allows through a plain text file with
extension .mat but a .mat file in a zip archive is withheld:

This is a message from the MailScanner E-Mail Virus Protection Service
The original e-mail attachment "Data.zip"
is on the list of unacceptable attachments for this site and has been
replaced by this warning message.

At Wed Feb 24 12:52:08 2010 the virus scanner said:

   MailScanner: Microsoft Access Shortcuts are dangerous in email (Spec_Power_New.mat)

the virus scanner is sophos and it has no problems with the file when I
run savscan on it.

Can anyone assist?

rob