backscatter / ndr / smtp auth issues

Gavin Silver GSilver at rampuptech.com
Mon Feb 22 15:59:42 GMT 2010

Hey all,

Pulling my hair out over this. All of a sudden I am getting what looks like NDRs filling up my mail queue here is an example

Reporting-MTA: dns; MY_MAILSCANNER_GATEWAY.net
Arrival-Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 09:43:14 -0500 (EST)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; UNKNOWN_USER at MY_CLIENTS_DOMAIN.com
Remote-MTA: dns; MY_CLIENTS_MAILSERVER.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.1.1 User unknown

From

MAILER-DAEMON at MY_MAILSCANNER_GATEWAY.net (Mail Delivery System)

laiaduye4777 at telemar.net.br

Date

Mon, 22 Feb 2010 09:43:52 -0500 (EST)

Subject

Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

This is the mail system at MY_MAILSCANNER_GATEWAY.net.

                   The mail system

< UNKNOWN_USER at MY_CLIENTS_DOMAIN.com >: host MY_CLIENTS_MAILSERVER.com[client.server.ip.address] said: 550 5.1.1 User
    unknown (in reply to RCPT TO command)

My mailscanner is running in a gateway setup for multiple domains on ubuntu 8.04LTS / postfix
Mailscanenr version is 4.58.9 (*duck* I know! Im going to migrate everyone to a brand new updated version on centos very shortly.. :-/ )

I have smtp auth enabled in postfix according to documentation found on mailscanner.info... so im not sure why my gateway is even sending bounces

Gavin Silver