Mailscanner attach scan problem

Stephen Swaney steve at fsl.com
Tue Dec 21 13:19:38 GMT 2010

On Dec 21, 2010, at 5:13 AM, Ante Gulam wrote:

> Hi..
> Quick help pls..?!
>
> I've implemented yesterday in production my postfix with mailscanner as relay to exchange server.. just regular pdf file (1MB big) stucks in hold and all mails stucks after it in there. I have to mv them to ../incoming...
> This is dump (tail –f) from my mail.log in that situation.. situation is little bit different then before..
>
> Dec 21 10:44:42 mailfilter MailScanner[5280]: SpamAssassin cache hit for message 454446CDD4.12443
> Dec 21 10:44:43 mailfilter MailScanner[5280]: Expanding TNEF archive at /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/5280/454446CDD4.12443/winmail.dat
> Dec 21 10:44:43 mailfilter MailScanner[5324]: MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner version 4.74.16 starting...
>
> No pattern.. pdf's > 10,20MB are passing normaly.. i was thinking that the reason is that the name started with period (.) but then named other pdf like that and they passed normaly.. PDF was small and non-harmful at all.. what could be a problem ?!? i'm going to search through logs and try to see what is happening..
>
> Is there a way to tell mailscanner not to scan some certain attach extensions!?? Couldn't find the option in this short time.. i'll try to disable clam or whole mailscanner right now to temporarly solve the problem..
>
> Thank you in advance..
> Regards,
> Ante

Ante,

You don't give which version of MailScanner that you are running but try this:

If you're not using the Latest version of MailScanner, upgrade to the late version.

If you are using the latest version or if you need to fix quickly,

in /MailScanner.conf, set:

Use TNEF Contents = no
Expand TNEF = no
Deliver Unparsable TNEF = yes
TNEF Expander = internal

Using these settings introduces the slight risk of a virus getting through  but should give you the best change of delivering the messages.

Best regards,

Steve
--
Steve Swaney
steve at fsl.com
www.fsl.com
The most accurate and cost effective anti-spam solutions available