OT [sort of]: Dropping To address before mailscanner

Mike Tremaine mgt at stellarcore.net
Sat Dec 18 14:58:54 GMT 2010

> On 12/17/2010 12:10 PM, Glenn Steen wrote:
>> I absolutely hate that "brush it under the rug" reasoning. Far better if you
>> synthetise a list for them to clean up (makes perfect, economic, sense for
>> both parties), or (if you feel a bit more evil) forward the bounces to their
>> mail admin (who should be handling abuses anyway).
>> Takes a bit of courage to tell a customer to desist from idiocy, but... You
>> actually might get some cred from it, if presented nicely;-)
>
> I agree completely. It's not hard to see that these bounce backs are
> 'unsubscribe requests' in a very clear and easy to parse form. So, save
> yourself the bandwidth and help them clean up their lists. They really
> should appreciate the fact that "We have 500,000 subscribers" doesn't
> mean much if you are discarding an unknown number of bounces.
> Ken
>

>> Cheers
>> -- -- Glenn

I also agree, but here we have a technical question and a procedural response. I did infact do these things first but the wheels of the these large orginazations move very slowly and I had to take steps to protect the mail server, right now. The answer to my question was indeed DISCARD or REJECT works fine.

Thank you for all the comments and feedback.

-Mike