Mailscanner attach scan problem

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Thu Dec 2 21:17:52 GMT 2010

On 02/12/10 21:54, Ante Gulam wrote:

> I've purged all packages.. clam, sa, mailscanner.. even postfix..
> Putted it all together again from 0.. configured all again .. there is no
> single error as i see.
> --debug, MailScanner -lint, mail.log in var/log ... everything seems fine
> considering logs..
> BUT same thing is happening when some attach is sent.. there is no pattern
> in jamming.. sometimes zip, pdf, pptx..
> But seems to me only zip jammes every single time... other ones know to pass
> now and then.. :)
>
> Does anyone has idea what could this be? I'll write a script to clamd the
> attach and mv it to incoming if passes scan :))) ROFL.. this has to go in
> production next week and this is not giving me confidence in mailscanner..
> what is strange
> To me is that there is no pattern in all this.. proc sometimes goes
> <defunct> and sometimes just goes Starting child... if i remember
> correctly.. i'm going to dig more till i found some solution..

Given that you only use the hardware to full capacity when you scan
larger files it might actually be a hardware problem.

It took me a week continues scanning to find faulty memory in a
Barracuda unit that would bail out with a dying clamd process multiple
times per day.

While most of the times you get some indication of hardware problems
there is the occasional situation where you seem to be chasing software
problems based on your findings only to find out it is actually a
hardware problem instead.

So my E 0.02 is on a hardware problem for now.

Hugo.