Problems sending mail after MailScanner install

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 15:04:29 IST 2010

On 18 August 2010 17:59, Mark L. Wise <mark at alpha2.com> wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I recently installed MailScanner on a server that I am responsible for to
> help reduce virus infections.
>
> Things seemed to be working great, but then I started getting calls that
> outbound mail was not being delivered just to a select group of e-mail
> addresses.  Since these select group of e-mail addresses represented their
> significant customers, I turned MailScanner off.

A bit drastic... And not really  necessary. Look below.
> My questions are:
>
> 1) Is there a way to exclude certain e-mail domains from outbound e-mail
> checks?
Yes. Read up on rulesets. They can be used on almost all settings in
MailScanner.conf, so you can very selectively do/don't do specific
things.
Look at: The example file in the rules directory
(/etc/MailScanner/rules for the RPM install), the wiki (including the
MAQ, IIRC), the www.mailscanner.info site has some more on it all
(among other things a very nice "webified" config option page that
detail exactly where you can have rulesets, and what the respective
settings can be), search the list archive (gmane is good for this, and
yes... we've talked a lot about how this is done on this list:-), and
finally the Book (buy it from the official site, it is worth every
penny!).

> 2) How would I diagnose why the mail was not being delivered?  (I think my
> maillog files show them leaving my server... could be that something on the
> scanned files shows up as problems to the incoming servers at the domains?
The log will contain all relevant information, usually. The tricky bit
is to see exactly what happened to a specific message:-). Many of us
use MailWatch to do logging to a database... and more. Look at
http://mailwatch.sf.net for more.

> 3) Any thoughts on why only certain domains would not get mail delivered?

Misconfigurations? Who knows... In all likelihood, you are the only
one who has the answers... in your logs;-)

> Fedora release 8 (Werewolf)
> Perl version 5.008008 (5.8.8)
> MailScanner version 4.79.11
>
> Thanks!